First real-world SCADA attack in US

Mike Andrews mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Wed Nov 23 17:39:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 04:00:52PM -0800, Joe Hamelin wrote:
> This might be of interest to those wishing to dive deeper into the subject.
>
> Telecommunications Handbook for Transportation Professionals: The Basics of
> Telecommunications by the Federal Highway Administration.
>
> http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/telecomm_handbook/
>
> I'm still digging through it to see what they say about network security.
> Joe Hamelin, W7COM, Tulalip, WA, 360-474-7474

They don't. Not at all. The most they do say is that on one system, one
class of users has RW access to data, while another has RO access. This
quote:

                "Firewall" - is a term used
                to   describe    a  software
                application    designed   to
                prevent         unauthorized
                access to the initial entry
                point of a system.

is indicative of the level at which the doc is written, and of the
intended audience. Worse yet, the dfn. is _*WRONG*_.

I work for a state highway department; we take network security a whole
lot more seriously than *that*.

73 DE

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO