First real-world SCADA attack in US

Michael Painter tvhawaii at shaka.com
Wed Nov 23 03:54:58 UTC 2011

On Nov 22, 2011, at 8:08 58PM, Steven Bellovin wrote:

> They do state categorically that "After detailed analysis, DHS and the
> FBI have found no evidence of a cyber intrusion into the SCADA system of
> the Curran-Gardner Public Water District in Springfield, Illinois."
>
> I'm waiting to see Joe Weiss's response.

> See http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/11/scada-hack-report-wrong/

> --Steve Bellovin, https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

"Weiss expressed frustration over the conflicting reports."

Somewhat related...New broom at DHS.  From SANS NewsBites Vol.13, Num.93:

"Good News!
Yesterday, Mark Weatherford took over as Deputy Undersecretary for Cyber
Security at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. For the first time
in many years, the U.S. cybersecurity program will be run by a
technologist rather than by a lawyer. There are good reasons to believe
that this change will herald an era of greater balance in national
cybersecurity leadership between NSA and DHS."