Dynamic (changing) IPv6 prefix delegation

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 22:39:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 22:18, Nathan Eisenberg <nathan at atlasnetworks.us> wrote:
>> Look at the number that are refusing to make generous prefix
>> allocations
>> to residential end users and limiting them to /56, /60, or even worse,
>> /64.
>
> Owen,
>
> What does Joe Sixpack do at home with a /48 that he cannot do with a /56 or a /60?

Flexibility.  With dhcpv6 prefix delegation, you are going to want devices
to be able to request (at least) /60s for further delegation (and better yet
/56s to allow them to delegate /60s with further delegation when needed).

While Joe may not have as complex of an environment as his neighbor
Sue, should we target the common Joe, or the advanced Sue?  As I
suspect Owen will say, there is no reason *not* to give out /48s
(ipv6 space is huge), and this is good opportunity to enable the
residential user to not have to work around artificial limits in the future.

Gary