First real-world SCADA attack in US

Hal Murray hmurray at
Mon Nov 21 16:21:21 CST 2011

> On an Illinois water utility:

That URL says:
> The Nov. 8 incident was described in a one-page report from the Illinois
> Statewide Terrorism and Intelligence Center, according to Joe Weiss, a
> prominent expert on protecting infrastructure from cyber attacks.

Joe Weiss gave a good talk at Stanford last Oct 12.

My quick summary: The whole SCADA industry isn't tuned into network security
issues.  It's not part of their culture.

Several years ago, Idaho National Labs ran an experiment.  They blew up a
diesel generator by remote control.  Aurora is the buzzword.

The abstract page for his talk has a link to a CNN video.  It only has a few
seconds of the generator.  Here is a longer version on YouTube: