First real-world SCADA attack in US

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Nov 21 22:21:21 UTC 2011

> On an Illinois water utility:
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45359594/ns/technology_and_science-security

That URL says:
> The Nov. 8 incident was described in a one-page report from the Illinois
> Statewide Terrorism and Intelligence Center, according to Joe Weiss, a
> prominent expert on protecting infrastructure from cyber attacks.

Joe Weiss gave a good talk at Stanford last Oct 12.
  http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee380/

My quick summary: The whole SCADA industry isn't tuned into network security
issues.  It's not part of their culture.

Several years ago, Idaho National Labs ran an experiment.  They blew up a
diesel generator by remote control.  Aurora is the buzzword.

The abstract page for his talk has a link to a CNN video.  It only has a few
seconds of the generator.  Here is a longer version on YouTube:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJyWngDco3g