Looking for a Tier 1 ISP Mentor for career advice.

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon Nov 21 14:34:36 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 09:09:50AM -0500, Tyler Haske wrote:
> I really appreciate the specific insights offered by Keegan and Valdis.
>
> - Linking me places to apply for jobs doesn't help. I'm aware of who is
> considered Tier I, and how to find their website.
>
> - I'm in Kalamazoo Michigan, and I can commute up to 50 miles. I can't move
> until I finish my Bachelors in Computer Networking.
>
> - The job market here is bad.
>
> - I do have a home lab. (Cisco equipment)
>
> 2 3350s
> 2 2950s
> 4 2611XMs.
>
> - This isn't merely a technical request. I'd like support in this endeavor,
> from someone who's 'been there', to tell me things I CAN'T Google.
>
> Tyler.

	Valdis evolked fond memories... (built the 6bone's first node! and was
	part of the baseline mesh for over a decade, when it was dismantled)

	wrt your home lab.   you are at a disadvantage (except of course for
	your certifications) in that the cool toys are not yet in vendor code.
	consider augmenting your kit w/ OSS versions of routing code (I still
	like zebra) and dig into fundamentals (ISIS & BGP interaction, MPLS, esp
	with the still unstable OAM code - pick ITU/SG15 or IETF flavors -, consider
	where the market is headed... look into dynamic discovery in HIP networks,
	true mobility (not the mobile-IP that is current fashion))...

	if you are still keen, I can put you in touch w/ some good researchers
	doing dynamic BGP failover and over the Internet rekeying, if you want
	to collaberate on things.

/bill