ASA log viewer

PC paul4004 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 22:57:49 UTC 2011

I guess this depends on how aggressive the TCP reconnection algorithm is
vs. the packet loss of UDP...

On the other hand, does ASA support "buffering" of syslog messages while
TCP is down?  I believe on some IOS platforms, with the right syslog
options, it has the capability of queuing and delivering syslog messages
generated during a period of network outage once the syslog session is
re-established.  Does ASA do this, or discard them?

Now on the other hand, never route two ASAs to one another (IE: summary
route design).  They don't decrement TTL by default.  I had one case where
a loopy route got installed and the traffic just kept ping-ponging back and
forth maxing the port.  The brutal part was not the pegged port, but rather
the many megabits of udp syslog that resulted that the WAN link couldn't
handle.  decrement-ttl and logging rate-limit are now on as a result.  On
the other hand, TCP syslog would have handled it much better without a
denial of service condition.