CDN locations for US eyeball networks

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Nov 17 20:50:52 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 3:30 PM, John Bell <john_c.bell at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am in the process of scouting for CDN node
> locations for content delivery to end users in the US. Currently looking
>  at Seattle, Los Angeles, Dallas, Chicago, Miami and New York.

Hi John,

Add Northern Virginia to the list. Then move it to the top.

Historically, telecommunications on the US east coast hubbed in NoVA,
just outside Washington DC, making it an attractive area for early
Internet peering points like MAE-East. That has evolved over the past
decade but NoVA still holds a commanding position in Internet
interconnectivity.

There are a number of local data centers most interconnected by
multiple dark fiber providers. The most connected is probably Equinix
in Ashburn VA. YMMV as to whether its cost-effective for a "small
fish."

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004