IP Options

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 15:20:30 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:17 AM, harbor235 <harbor235 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure, but mirroring a port on the edge may not be the best way to go, ACL
> hits and logs
> dumped to syslog may be the best approach. So if your capturing traffic how
> are you mitigating this traffic
> with minimal impact?

sorry, my question was: "Do you have some pcaps, I'd be interested in
seeing what sort of packets you are seeing with options added to
them."

I've seen things like mcast/pim/etc that will do this, and RSVP, I've
not seen in-the-wild packets with options being a 'problem', though in
theory they can be painful :(

Some vendor gear has 'no ip-options' as an option...(which is really,
'ignore ip options', I believe), some has the ability to filter based
on option(s).

-chris