economic value of low AS numbers

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Nov 17 15:22:44 UTC 2011

In a message written on Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 02:53:26PM +0000, Dave Hart wrote:
> I recognize there's no practical shortage of AS numbers.  BGP's
> preference for low AS numbers doesn't come into play much.  On the
> other hand, a low AS number can't hurt at the human level when
> negotiating peering or attracting customers.

I think you are confusing a "low ASN" with a "low router ID", or
maybe "low neighbor IP address".

For a refresher, see:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094431.shtml

A low ASN has no technical value, as far as I know.  Socially perhaps
some folks give additional respect/envy to those with low ASN's.
There's an old joke in the peering community, ASN < 3 digits, peer
with them.  ASN with 4 digits, think about peering with them.  ASN
with 5 digits, forget it.  However, I do believe it's just a joke,
I'm sure more folks peer with Akamai (20940) than with NASA (24).