Cable standards question

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Nov 14 16:07:40 UTC 2011

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011, Sam (Walter) Gailey wrote:

> My question is this; Is there an appropriate standard to specify for
> fiber-optic cabling that if it is followed the fiber will be installed
> correctly? Would specifying TIA/EIA 568-C.3, for example, be correct?
>
> I'm envisioning something like;
>
> "The vendor will provide fiber connectivity between (building A) and
> (building B). Vendor will be responsible for all building penetrations
> and terminations. When  installing the fiber-optic cable the vendor will
> follow the appropriate TIA/EIA 568 standards for fiber-optic cabling."

How you phrase the requirements depends on what you want the end result to
be.  Sorry to start this off with a wishy-washy statement, but when
dealing with contractors, you have to be very specific with what you want,
and stay involved during the project, to be sure the results are what you
want.

It's a good idea to define very clearly what is "in scope" and "out of
scope" for the contractor up front.  This can include things like the
contractor being responsible for submitting any one-call requests
per your localities' guidelines for any work that requires digging, or
restoring any items that have to be removed (landscaping, sidewalks,
paved roadways, etc) to facilitate digging.

For example, do the buildings in question already have usable entrance
facilities for communications (aerial/underground entrances, suitable
demarc locations in each building, cable pathways from the exterior
penetrations to the demarc point)?  If not, you will generally need to
spell out exactly what the fiber contractor (or a sub-contractor) is
expected to provide (conduits from comms manhole/utility vault/pole/etc).
Typically you will need to define a place in each building where the
fiber will land, which will either be in a rack or on a wall.

Also, at a minimum, the contractor should 1. test all strands at the
appropriate wavelengths, 2. provide you with documentation of the test
results, and 3. general fit-and-finish/workmanship items such as making
sure all connectors have dust caps and any required labeling of the
termination bays.

Where I work, we have detailed construction / installation standards that
get added to the bid package of any new construction or major renovation
on our campus.  If you want, I can send you a copy (off-list) of the
relevant pieces of our Division 27 specs that go out to contractors as
part of our construction bid packages.

jms