Cable standards question

Sam (Walter) Gailey gaileywg at MANSFIELDCT.ORG
Mon Nov 14 14:42:32 UTC 2011

Hello, newbie question of the morning time, but hopefully not too off-topic...

I run a small town network. A new building is being built that the town wants fiber access to. I have to specify for vendors what it is that the town expects in the cabling. I am (obviously) not a fiber expert, and I'm having trouble phrasing the language of the RFP so that we are assured a quality installation.

My question is this; Is there an appropriate standard to specify for fiber-optic cabling that if it is followed the fiber will be installed correctly? Would specifying TIA/EIA 568-C.3, for example, be correct?

I'm envisioning something like;

"The vendor will provide fiber connectivity between (building A) and (building B). Vendor will be responsible for all building penetrations and terminations. When  installing the fiber-optic cable the vendor will follow the appropriate TIA/EIA 568 standards for fiber-optic cabling."

Any suggestions or examples of language would be very appreciated. Offlist contact is probably best.

Many thanks,

---Sam