Arguing against using public IP space

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Sun Nov 13 16:38:50 UTC 2011

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 10:36:43 -0500, Jason Lewis <jlewis at packetnexus.com> wrote;

> I don't want to start a flame war, but this article seems flawed to
> me.

Any article that claims a /12 is a 'class B', and a /16 is a 'Class C', is
DEFINITELY 'flawed'.

>       It seems an IP is an IP.

True.  *BUT*, "some IP's are more equal than others", as Orwell would say.

> http://www.redtigersecurity.com/security-briefings/2011/9/16/scada-vendors-use-public-routable-ip-addresses-by-default.html
>
> I think I could announce private IP space, so doesn't that make this
> argument invalid?

You likely would have a 'rude surprise' if you actually tried it.

It is an express violation of RFCs to announce routing for RFC-1918 space
-outside- of your own network.

In addition, virtually _every_ ASN operator has ingress filters on their
border routers to block almost all traffic to RFC-1918 destinations.

"Good net neighbor" operators also run egress filters that block almost all
outbound traffic with RFC-1918 _source_ addresses -- things like icmp 'un-
reachables' are an exception.