Anyone seen this kind of problem? SIP traffic not getting to destination but traceroute does

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Nov 10 05:41:39 UTC 2011

On 11/9/2011 4:45 PM, Blake Hudson wrote:
> I'm not sure how an IP transit provider (who should be providing
> routing/switching) screws up transport layer connections - looks like
> they are arbitrarily "managing" client data. Just my $0.02.

With today's routers, all sorts of weird things can go wrong, especially
if it's a hardware failure.

I had an IO/FE go out on a 7200 (which is as software as you get) which
attributed to a lot of weirdness. It started when the IGP updated state
information on the IO card's FE, which shut down mpls switching on the
router, but the LSP itself was still considered up. It then showed by
freaking out the neighbor 7206 when we reboot the failing one (could no
longer ping the loopback of the neighbor router with and without using
the LSP, but all IGP was up and you could ping/telnet/ssh to any other
IP ). Finally the  reboot itself showed the true issue (required
multiple power cycles and a reset of the ata card to even load IOS in an
unstable state).

I don't even want to think what happens when a high end router's
linecard starts to fail.

Jack