ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call (expires in one week)

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Nov 9 15:56:33 UTC 2011

In a message written on Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 03:33:04PM +0000, John Curran wrote:

>     There is an Draft Policy for Inter-RIR Transfers presently in extended
>     "Last Call" in the ARIN Policy Development Process.   The Last Call
>     will run for one more week, and allows an opportunity for anyone in the
>     Internet community to provide feedback regarding this proposed
>     number resource policy.  Feedback, including statements in support

I went and read a fair number of PPML messages via the web interface
as I no longer subscribe.  I also read the policy proposal.

I think the AC, and ARIN's policy process in general has come off
the rails.  There's a reason why I unsubscribed from PPML, and have
not participated for 2+ years.  I don't know exactly where things
went wrong, but somewhere they went very, very wrong.

But I don't have to summarize, Bill Sandiford (an AC Member) already
did that for me:
http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2011-November/023661.html

Which leads me to my thoughts on the process, from two areas:

1) The concept of Inter-RIR transfers is a bad idea.  Insuring
   "compatible" rules between RIR's will always be difficult at
   best.  There are technical difficulties for the RIR's, such
   as how reverse DNS is handled.  Most importantly, after going
   through all the pain of figuring out these details it's unlikely
   to help very many people at all.

2) The process followed to get here is totally broken.  Bill hit
   the nail on the head, and it's archived on ARIN's web site:
   Text in Sep: http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2011-September/023170.html
   Text in Oct: http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2011-October/023362.html

   Near as I can tell the feedback in the October meeting made the
   AC want to do a _total rewrite of the entire policy_, which they
   turned around in under a week and shoved directly into the last
   call process.

It's disgusting, and I'm glad I'm no longer involved.  It's a mockery of
the policy process ARIN has set up, and I'm baffled to this day why more
folks aren't upset about it.