XO blocking individual IP's

Ryan Rawdon ryan at u13.net
Tue Nov 8 12:04:18 UTC 2011

On Nov 7, 2011, at 10:06 PM, clayton at haydel.org wrote:

>> "transit provider".  Is XO the end-access provider for either you or the
>> destination site?  Or are both of those on some other connection, and XO
>> is a bystander along the way?
>
> We're a direct customer.  The IP's that I've seen them block have been
> both on our network and on remote networks, so I suspect their filtering
> would affect any traffic that happened to pass over XO.

While troubleshooting another issue last week, someone in the NOC at one of our ISPs mentioned that they had encountered something similar recently.

"This
looks suspiciously like another XO issue we ran across in the last few
months where they used a network security device that blocked 'suspicious'
traffic on particular ports (although it was tcp based from what I could
remember)."

In our case the symptoms looked like GBLX was eating traffic which hashed to a certain theoretical link (certain src-dst-srcport-dstport combinations) in a LAG or similar, but it was happening right near the XO-GBLX edge in the forward path so it's possible it was a security device at XO's edge.