Performance Issues - PTR Records

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 00:26:02 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Paul Ebersman <list-nanog2 at dragon.net> wrote:
> It's already been pointed out that lame delegations are more likely
> problems for many. But the "we'll just pre-fill in-addr to avoid
> problems" isn't going to work for ip6.arpa. If anyone has enough
> hardware to serve the zone for a /48 (64k * 4bil * 4bil *
> bytes-in-record), I'd love to see it. :)
[snip]
I can serve the zone for a /48   by creating a "sparse" zone.
That is... when you ask my  DNS server what such and such PTR reverses too,
what I don't have a DNS entry for, it can tell you something generic.

There is no need for me to physically create  64k*4bil*4bil  on a disk
or memory area
somewhere.    I can make a plugin for my DNS server to hand you the
generic result
when you ask my DNS server what something reverses to...

That is, I can serve you an ephemeral record without requiring an
extra byte of storage beyond
the life of your query :)

--
-JH