Performance Issues - PTR Records

Jeff Walter jeffw at he.net
Wed Nov 2 22:02:57 UTC 2011

On 11/2/2011 2:57 PM, Matt Chung wrote:
> <snip!>
> Although we will be assigning a record for each address, my question is why
> is the application (specifically HTTP) dependent on a reverse record ?
> What is the purpose?

HTTP has no requirement that the connecting client have reverse DNS
setup.  Some servers have reverse lookups enabled, and some of those
undoubtedly block until the record has been retrieved or all avenues of
discovery have been exhausted... and this is likely where the issue
exists.  As to why the server or the script/application its running
needs the record, you'd have to ask the developer.

--
Jeff Walter
Network Engineer