Outgoing SMTP Servers

Carlos Martinez-Cagnazzo carlosm3011 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 19:54:05 UTC 2011

The point to make here is:

- if an ISP takes the path of blocking tcp/25, then they MUST
communicate this appropiately to customers and other users
- they also MUST provide alternatives: SMTP over SSL should be allowed
(tcp/465), authenticated relay, but *something*.

IMO blocking 25/tcp is a side-effect of the failure of the whole ISP
system to decisively deal with spammers. It's easier to blind-block
25/tcp than to do proper investigations and to collaborate with law
enforcement. I have tried to hand reports with *static* IP addresses,
contract identifiers and even home, mobile and work phone numbers of
known spammers in Uruguay (I happen to have my personal feud with one
that sells dog food), only to be shelved by management on the fears of
legal action.

I have also trouble swallowing the argument of "blocking 25/tcp is
great because it avoids us getting into black lists and reduces spam".
Yes, sure, but that doesn't prove it's the right approach in the long
run, as you are dealing with symptoms and not causes/sources.

It's the same thing as having tons of aspirines each time you have a
headache. Even if the pain subsides, you might still have other
underlying conditions that in fact are being masqueraded by your
"solution".

So, as it is often the case in society, we all pay the price.