Cablevision's company line on IPv6 to the home

Greg Ihnen os10rules at gmail.com
Tue May 31 02:33:53 UTC 2011

On May 30, 2011, at 8:56 PM, Bob Snyder wrote:

> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Greg Ihnen <os10rules at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just got off the phone with a level 1 tech support guy about an issue with my parents Cablevision/Optimum Online service and decided to ask the fellow if there's any official company news about IPv6 being in the works. His comments were that there is a test coming up (he was referring to World IPv6 Day), though he admitted that Cablevision is choosing not to participate in the "test" because they want to wait to see that IPv6 actually works without problems before they turn it on. He said it with a tone that seemed to express that the World IPv6 Day "test" is an irresponsible diversion. I politely and without any noticeable condescension (I believe) told him "that's what I expected" and bid him adieu.
>>
>> It's neat how they're going to skip that irresponsible testing phase and just turn it on one day and it's going to work perfectly.
>
> Because when I want to know details of future major architectural
> changes to a network, I usually ask a level 1 tech support guy since
> he's the one most likely to know, right?

Should I answer that? No, that was sarcasm. Nice touch.

See my post where I address the fact that I wanted to know what the company's official public position is, as you said, the "script". In that post I mention I qualified the fact that the fellow was level 1 for obvious reasons. I wasn't trying to say he had technical insight. The official script does possibly say something about the company's desire/willingness/urgency/felt need to deploy IPv6. Does hearing that there's fast and furious work going on in the NOC to bring IPv6 capability mean it will be rolled out to the customer in short order? I'd say the answer to that is "who knows".

It's not an apples to apples comparison with Cablevision's territory but down in my neck of the woods where I live the guys who work the telco's switch in town have been telling me for years that the "banda ancha" (broadband) gear is all installed as is the fiber back to the capitol and they're just waiting for the bureaucratic "OK" to turn it on. They've cut grooves in the town's "perimetral" (perimeter) road and ran fiber in the road ringing the town. That was almost two years ago. Sure seems like broadband could be just around the corner right? And the years drag on, no broadband. Sometimes the company's official public stance (from like... um... the level 1 guys) is highly indicative of what's coming.

I'm surprised that all ISPs aren't trying to glom onto IPv6 the way so many companies now feel the need to claim to be "green" just because you don't want to be the last one in your market place not claiming to be "green".

Then again, maybe you're just trolling. For trolling I like a Rapala lure (negative buoyancy) or live bait with a weight.

Here in the jungle they take an empty jug, tie a line on it and put a big hook on the end with some kind of meat or fish and throw them out in the river and them float down river with the current, mostly for the big catfish. It's the lazy man's trolling.

Greg