Cablevision's company line on IPv6 to the home

Bob Snyder rsnyder at toontown.erial.nj.us
Tue May 31 01:26:22 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Greg Ihnen <os10rules at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just got off the phone with a level 1 tech support guy about an issue with my parents Cablevision/Optimum Online service and decided to ask the fellow if there's any official company news about IPv6 being in the works. His comments were that there is a test coming up (he was referring to World IPv6 Day), though he admitted that Cablevision is choosing not to participate in the "test" because they want to wait to see that IPv6 actually works without problems before they turn it on. He said it with a tone that seemed to express that the World IPv6 Day "test" is an irresponsible diversion. I politely and without any noticeable condescension (I believe) told him "that's what I expected" and bid him adieu.
>
> It's neat how they're going to skip that irresponsible testing phase and just turn it on one day and it's going to work perfectly.

Because when I want to know details of future major architectural
changes to a network, I usually ask a level 1 tech support guy since
he's the one most likely to know, right?

He'll know it's being rolled out when they create a script for him to
follow. One that'll likely say something like "For IPv6 problems,
immediately escalate to someone we've actually training in IPv6."

Bob