Ham Radio Networking (was Re: Rogers Canada using 7.0.0.0/8 for internal address space)

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Fri May 27 14:00:20 UTC 2011

On 5/26/11 11:23 PM, David Conrad wrote:
> On May 26, 2011, at 5:14 PM, Wil Schultz wrote:
>>> Out of curiosity, is there an IPv6 stack for ham devices?
>> Well there's a loaded question.
>> I won't say that there aren't "ham devices" with an IP stack built in, but I think we're talking about different layers here.
>
> Sorry, poorly worded.  What I was wondering is there is an equivalent of KA9Q for IPv6.  I believe one of the comments we got back when we were trying to reclaim 44/8 was that folks couldn't migrate to IPv6 because no software was available...

Well, I wrote a lot of the original IPv6 stuff (back when it was PIPE -> SIP ->
SIPP) for KA9Q, have the source around here somewhere....

But now I'd just use Linux.  Alan Cox ported the KA9Q AX25 code long ago.

Since everybody and his brother is coming out of the woodwork -- sadly, I've
not done any AX25 since my grandfather Marvin Allen Maten (W8TQP) died; that
was one of the things we did together.  Although he was a ham since circa 1916,
he was always wanting to try the latest!  His QSL contacts went back so far, he
knew Hugo Gernsback and his brother (who actually ran the electronics store).