Ham Radio Networking (was Re: Rogers Canada using 7.0.0.0/8 for internal address space)

Wil Schultz wschultz at bsdboy.com
Fri May 27 03:14:19 UTC 2011

On May 26, 2011 7:54 PM, "David Conrad" <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> On May 26, 2011, at 4:50 PM, Wil Schultz wrote:
> > There are some similarities between bands and ipv4 exhaustion, sure...
One
> > major difference is that those using ipv4 have the option of using ipv6,
>
> Out of curiosity, is there an IPv6 stack for ham devices?
>
> Regards,
> -drc

Well there's a loaded question.

So a traditional ham device is a radio, so any protocol you want to run on
top of a radio wave is possible. There are some radios that do have ways to
transfer data, like slow scan and psk31, but that's usually done by a device
connected to the radio.

I won't say that there aren't "ham devices" with an IP stack built in, but I
think we're talking about different layers here.

-wil