Re Netflix Is Eating Up More Of North America's Bandwidth Than Any Other Company

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Thu May 26 09:43:26 UTC 2011

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=STB+PVR+ethernet

> Proof: go to Titantv.com, select the 'digital cable' channel line-up for
> 'Comcast areas 1, 4 & 5' in zipcode 60640 (chicago north side, lakefront).
> and check the comcast channels in the range 340-379.

lol comcast. All bets are off.

> I'll simply ask, _which_ of those channels will have that extra data stream
> that the head-end inserted?  That the cable compmany doesn't know, or care,
> about, and *how* does it survive the de-multiplexing and re-coding that the
> cable company did?

I'm in agreement with you already, I said on digital the b/w had
already been consumed making it financially unviable. If you paid
they'd leave it alone.

> You apparently have no idea how 'digital TV' is delivered by all the major
> cable companies in the U.S. -- demultiplexed, and transcoded to QAM with
> each video stream on a separate QAM channel.  I don't see any _possible_
> way for an additional data stream to survive _that_, without explicit
> intervention/support from the cable company.

They make their own choices overiding the original broadcasters. Net
neutrality is old.

brandon