Rogers Canada using 7.0.0.0/8 for internal address space

Jeremy jbaino at gmail.com
Wed May 25 03:22:20 UTC 2011

Please excuse my ignorance on this and note that I am not condoning the
hijacking of IP address space.

As long as necessary precautions are taken (route filters, tunnels, VRF's)
shouldn't this be technically feasible without any negative ramifications?

These 7-NET address seem to be assigned to the modem itself, but surely they
aren't what the customer sees at thier WAN IP address right? So as long as
the modem is configured to send ALL traffic, regardless of destination
address (could be a 7NET dst) over a GRE tunnel to some aggregation point
via its acquired 7-net address and all routers were to keep the 7net on a
separate VRF, shouldn't they be able to avoid any IP collisions? Couldn't
you theoretically use anyone's IP space, advertised or not, for this
internal transit? I'm not saying it's a good idea, it's certainly more
complex which leads to its own issues, but shouldn't it be possible?

-Jeremy