HIJACKED: AS18466, courtesy of Global Crossing (AS3549)

Carlos Martinez-Cagnazzo carlosm3011 at gmail.com
Tue May 24 18:22:23 UTC 2011

Hello Ronald,

<disclaimer>I do work for LACNIC</disclaimer>
<sorry>i'm really late in my NANOG followups</sorry>

> P.P.S.  Although I have previously bemoaned ARIN's lack of agressivness in
> reclaiming abandoned ASNs and IP blocks that have been hijacked, I feel
> compelled to note that at least they (ARIN) do have a proccess in place
> for doing so, i.e. when and if they are motivated in that direction.
> I have it on good authority however that LACNIC does not even have an
> established process for reclaiming abandoned number resources.  Given
> that the problem of hijacked number resources, rather than disappearing,
> is in fact accelerating, over time, I do believe that it would behove
> LACNIC and other RiRs to develop processes for reclaiming abandoned
> resources, in particular when and where it becomes evident that these
> resources have been hijacked.

I would like to get in touch with the good authority you mention as
he/she seems to be quite misinformed. LACNIC has, and has applied in
the past, policies and procedures for resource recovery due to
abandonment and other issues.

The original resource recovery policy is LACNIC-2009-06 and the
English text can be found here:
http://www.lacnic.net/en/politicas/manual7-1.html

You can also find the list of recovered prefixes and ASNs here
http://www.lacnic.net/en/registro/revocacion.html

I am not the expert on how the recovery process actually works but I
can get you or the person who mentioned this alleged lack of process
to you in touch with the staff who actually do work with resource
recovery.

regards

Carlos