Rogers Canada using 7.0.0.0/8 for internal address space

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue May 24 05:21:36 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick at ianai.net> wrote:
> However, many networks take active steps to assure that external parties
> cannot disrupt their internal network.  Anyone on this list with

And many networks have implemented BCP38 and appropriate prefix
filters + as path filters  with their peers, including upstreams.
Some networks take active steps.   I think as a group you give them a
little too much credit.

I don't mean to speculate about what exactly Rogers is doing. Only
that:  if they just spontaneously decided to start using "7/8" on
their
internal network as unofficial space,  they could be putting
themselves at risk in unanticipated ways.

Even with active protection against that particular risk, it is still
possible the unofficial use will be harmful to the DoD some day, in
some way, resulting in repercussions against the unofficial user....

If you want to use some other organization's IP addresses without
their permission, for any purpose (internal or not);
It seems like the DoD, military commands of other large countries,
along with local law enforcement
organizations should be at the very _bottom_ of the list;   they have
more extreme retaliation/investigative
powers than any private company does.

--
-JH