Rogers Canada using 7.0.0.0/8 for internal address space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon May 23 17:36:56 UTC 2011

Sent from my iPad

On May 23, 2011, at 11:32, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> On May 23, 2011, at 8:28 AM, Mark Farina wrote:
>> Is the DoD releasing this range to Rogers?
>
> Unlikely, although it might be an interesting case of testing ARIN's transfer policy if it was the case :-).
>
>> Or has Rogers squatted on this space due to exhaustion of their 10/8 use?
>
> Probably. I've heard other large providers having similar issues (resulting in several attempts to designate more RFC 1918, all of which were all shot down).

Really? All of them? Are you sure about that?

I believe there is a policy proposal in the ARIN region which, I have it on good authority
is still active.

True, it doesn't technically designate more RFC-1918, but, it does create a /10 of space
for shared use for the purpose of LSN intermediate space or other carrier-level private
network usage.

>> We've seen other vendors and ISP squat on previously unused ranges (the 1/8 or 5/8s).
>
> Yes, however at the time those ISPs squatted on those addresses (and others), they had not yet been allocated by IANA pretty much guaranteeing there would be collisions when the IPv4 free pool was exhausted.  In this case, the block has been allocated yet doesn't appear to be in the routing system and I'm not sure it ever has been (at least authorized to be).  I'm guessing Rogers is making the assumption that the chances are probably small that one of their customers will need to communicate with a non-announced US DoD network.  I suspect they aren't the first to make this assumption.

More likely they are making the assumption that their private internal use of the address
space won't conflict with DoD's (apparently) private internal use of the address space.

Owen