Had an idea - looking for a math buff to tell me if it's possible?with today's technology.

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri May 20 19:48:52 UTC 2011

On Fri, 20 May 2011 09:34:59 -1000, Paul Graydon said:

> Not quite sure I follow that. "Start at position xyz, carry on for 10000
> bits" shouldn't be as long as telling it all 10000 bits?

The problem is that the length of 'xyz' will probably be on the same order of
magnitude as the length of your message - if it's only 2-3 digits long, you'll
probably find a matching location in the first 100 or so digits.  But if you
need a run that's an exact match for an entire 20K email, you're going to have
to go down a long ways to find a match. (protip - compressing the email text
first is a big win here)