Netflix Is Eating Up More Of North America's Bandwidth Than Any Other Company

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri May 20 00:27:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Roy <r.engehausen at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://e.businessinsider.com/public/184962

You know...  I say the way the headline characterizes the subject is misleading.
It would be more accurate to say something like....

"North American Internet users utilize more of their available network
capacity to access
Netflix, than any other company's service."
Bandwidth is not "eaten up";   it is utilized.   Bandwidth is not a
scarce, indivisable resource.

Since the article is about "peak downstream bandwidth in North America".
The statistics are about what broadband customers are doing;
according to Sandvine.

The first thought that enters my mind, when I see this headline, and
those charts,
is that the provider of the statistics / chooser of the headline has a
product they
want to sell.   :)

--
-JH