Experience with Open Source load balancers?

Andreas Echavez andreas at livejournalinc.com
Wed May 18 19:23:12 UTC 2011

We're using both an F5 BigIP as well as Nginx (open source software) in a
production environment.

They both have their merits, but when we recently came under some advanced
DDoSes (slowloris, slow POST, and more), we couldn't process certain types
of layer 7 insepction/modification because it was too heavy for the F5 to
handle. Nginx was more cost effective because we could scale laterally with
cheap commodity hardware.

This isn't a knock on the BigIP though; it's a much better piece of
equipment, has commercial support, and a fantastic web interface. With Nginx
you might find yourself compiling modules in by hand and writing config
files.

Ultimately, the open source solution is going to stand the test of time
better. It all depends on who's paying the bills, and what your time is
worth. Nginx was specifically worth the effort for us because we had unique
traffic demands that change too quickly for a commercial solution.

Thanks,
Andreas