IPv6 Conventions

Todd Snyder todd at borked.ca
Wed May 18 14:44:25 UTC 2011

As I start working more and more with IPv6 and find myself having to address
services, I am wondering if there are any sort of written or unwritten
'conventions'/best practices that are being adopted about how to address
devices/servers/services.

Specifically:

1) Is there a general convention about addresses for DNS servers? NTP
servers? dhcp servers?
2) Are we tending to use different IPs for each service on a device?
3) Any common addresses/schemes for other common services?
(smtp/snmp/http/ldap/etc)?

Similarly, I've been referring to
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-address-space/ipv6-address-space.xml for
a list of the 'reserved' space - are there any other blocks/conventions
around addressing that exist?

Finally, what tools do people find themselves using to manage IPv6 and
addressing?  It seems to me that IPAM is almost required to manage IPv6 in
any sane way, even for very small deployments (My home ISP gave me a /56 and
a /64).

I figured this was a fairly operational question/set of questions, so I hope
this is the right venue.

Cheers,

Todd.