Yahoo and IPv6

David Miller dmiller at tiggee.com
Mon May 16 23:23:06 UTC 2011

On 5/16/2011 3:13 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 14:37:46 -0400
>> From: Jim Gettys<jg at freedesktop.org>
>>
>>> perhaps i'm too close to the problem because that solution looks quite
>>> viable to me.  dns providers who don't keep up with the market (which
>>> means ipv6+dnssec in this context) will lose business to those who do.
>> I don't believe it is currently viable for any but the hackers out there,
>> given my experience during the Comcast IPv6 trial.  Typing V6 addresses
>> (much less remembering them) is a PITA.
>> You are asking people who don't even know DNS exists, to bother to
>> establish another business relationship (or maybe DNS services might
>> someday be provided by their ISP).
> actually, i'm asking the opposite.  only hackers run their own dns mostly;
> the vast majority of users who don't know what ipv6 or dnssec are, are
> already outsourcing to ultradns/neustar, or verisign, or dyn.com, etc, or

I think that what you probably meant to say was:
"... outsourcing to Affilias, Amazon Route 53, DNS Made Easy, DNS.com,
Dyn/Dynect, EasyDNS, GoDaddy, Netriplex, UltraDNS, Verisign, Zerigo, etc."

^^ Those are the commercial anycast DNS services that I know of
presented in a simple non-preferential alphabetical order.

I happen to know, because I did parts of the implementation, that DNS
Made Easy provides anycast IPv6 DNS to all customers (available on all
servers if they like).