Interested in input on tunnels as an IPv6 transition technology

TR Shaw tshaw at oitc.com
Fri May 13 19:32:22 UTC 2011

> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:52 PM, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
>> Hullo all.
>>
>> I'm working on a talk, and would be interested to know what people think
>> is good about tunnels as an IPv6 transition technology, and what people
>> think is bad about tunnels.
>>
>> It would probably be best to let me know off-list :-) but I'm happy to
>> summarise back to the list. Any references you have to useful papers,
>> articles, discussions etc would also be appreciated.
>>
>> I'm looking for both general problems and advantages, but also
>> advantages and disadvantages specific to particular tunnel types. It
>> would also be helpful to know from what perspective particular things
>> are good or bad, in so far as it isn't obvious. A carrier has a
>> different perspective than, say, a home user, who will have a different
>> perspective again to an enterprise user.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance for your input.

All I can say is that if it wasn't for HE tunnels I would be SOL. No provider here in east central Florida can even speak IPv6.  Brighthouse is clueless. ATT told me maybe 2012 or 2013!  So I tunnel to HE's POP in Miami.  With this I can test and become dual stack operational. Yes, it is not as good as a native connection but in my position its the only game in town.

Tom