coprorations using BGP for advertising prefixes in mid-1990s

Tony Li tony.li at tony.li
Thu May 12 23:47:54 UTC 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 2:37 PM, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Does no one remember EGP? ASNs are MUCH older than BGP. And we were
> using BGPv3 prior to the existence of V4. We used BGPv4 back in the days
> when Tony Li would chastise us for reporting a bug in a 10 day old Cisco
> build saying that we could not expect BGPv4 code over a week old to
> work. He felt that we should deploy new code daily.

To be fair, that was for folks on the isp-geeks mailing list, who were effectively doing alpha test with me.  I was fixing about 1 significant bug per day and doing at least one release per day.  10 day old code was missing at least 10 fixes...  ;-)   And that was BGP3.   BGP4 was the next developer.

Regards,
Tony