coprorations using BGP for advertising prefixes in mid-1990s

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu May 12 21:37:07 UTC 2011

> Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 17:15:17 -0400
> From: Dorn Hetzel <dorn at hetzel.org>
>

> > The actual number would be considerably smaller as there were large
> > (for some definition of large) block assignments of ASNs <~1000 or so
> > to various academic networking entities such as NSFNet and regional
> > networks as well as other Federal/Military networking organisations.
> >
> > -dorian
> >

> Well, for one data point, I was issued 3492 around Spring of 1994.

Does no one remember EGP? ASNs are MUCH older than BGP. And we were
using BGPv3 prior to the existence of V4. We used BGPv4 back in the days
when Tony Li would chastise us for reporting a bug in a 10 day old Cisco
build saying that we could not expect BGPv4 code over a week old to
work. He felt that we should deploy new code daily.

The big push was to have v4 available before the old PRDB was frozen by
Merit/NSFnet. (And, who remembers the PRDB?)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)