IPv6 foot-dragging

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed May 11 17:12:33 UTC 2011

On 11 mei 2011, at 19:01, George Bonser wrote:

> A couple of things you can do to check.  First of all look for requests
> to your DNS servers for AAAA records and note where those are coming
> from.

Firefox has for a long time done both A and AAAA lookups even if the system doesn't have IPv6. I believe MacOS does this too, now. Don't know about other apps/OSes, but for sure you'll see tons of AAAA lookups from people who have no IPv6 connectivity.

> Then note who is arriving
> over v6 asking for AAAA records.  Those are the best candidates for
> enabling v6 services.

Now you're counting DNS servers. Because the provisioning of IPv6 DNS addresses has been such a mess and still is problematic, many dual stack systems do this over IPv4. And the DNS servers they talk to may be IPv4-only, or IPv4-only users may talk to dual stack DNS servers.

In my opinion, looking at this kind of stuff in order to draw conclusions about what you should do is a waste of time. It just means more work for everyone and it doesn't fix any of the broken stuff that's out there.

If the results of world IPv6 day are as we expect and only 0.1 - 0.2 % or less of all people have problems, I think the best way forward would be to have a second world IPv6 day where we again enable IPv6 industry-wide but this time we don't turn it off again.