IPv6 foot-dragging

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Wed May 11 15:32:40 UTC 2011

On 2011-05-11 09:10, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> On 5/11/2011 11:03 AM, james at jamesstewartsmith.com wrote:
>> I have had similar problems with our providers, and these are tier 1 companies that should have already been full deployed.  These are also some of the more expensive providers on a per Mb basis.  The one provider that was full IPv6 ready was Cogent.  HE is also IPv6 (although we don't use them atm.)
>
> There are a number of networks in Canada that provide v6 transit both
> big and small.  I have v6 transit from TATA, HE and Cogent out of
> Toronto.  Many Canadian networks peer at Torix which also lists their v6
> status.
>
> http://www.torix.net/peers.php

That highlights another problem I have. I have no presence in Toronto,
nor do I have a business case (or resources) to build a presence there.
The same applies to Vancouver which is the other popular city for such
things.

I do currently employ a tunnel from HE's tunnel broker and, as a result,
I'm reasonably sure I can make IPv6 work when I have proper transit for
it. However, it would be impolite at best to turn up any sort of
production service over such a tunnel.

Speaking from the perspective of a *small* network with very limited
resources, adding a transit provider, even if one is available, is very
expensive. Installation costs tend to dwarf any business gain, often
running well into the 5 figure range. The same applies to switching
transit providers. (Install costs are the same in either case.)