IPv6 foot-dragging

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Wed May 11 14:51:00 UTC 2011

On 2011-May-11 16:39, William Astle wrote:
[..]
> I think the above two points illustrate precisely why so many networks
> in North America simply cannot deploy IPv6 whether they want to or not.
> We simply cannot obtain IPv6 transit from our upstreams. It's just not
> available. And the old line about "vote with your money" doesn't work
> when you have limited choices.

And you have just found out why transition technologies exist.

They are called 'transition' for a reason: during the time that you
cannot get (proper) native connectivity you can set up a tunnel to an
entity that can provide you with proper IPv6.

The same way you can also set up a IPv6-only transit session with a
party that is located at an IX or such you are at. Might just be to
cover the time till your current transits do support IPv6.

It is just a way around the problem, it might not be nice but it can
work and you can get ready, and might get enough insight on why not to
use that organization any more who is causing all the feet to be dragged.

Greets,
 Jeroen