23,000 IP addresses

Ken Chase ken at sizone.org
Wed May 11 14:32:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 09:56:56AM +0800, Ong Beng Hui said:

> while, I am not a lawyer, so what after they know who is using that
> broadband connection for that IP. So, they have identified the 80yr old,
> what next ? and what if i have a free-for-all wireless router in my
> house which anyone can tap on, which i regularly switch off during
> nighttime for energy saving reason. :)

Simple. Just make having clue on configuring your wifi AP a legal requirement. :)

Sides, since WPA is cracked now too, to some extent, i dont think most APs
have any sort of guaranteed protection. Hell, it's better to leave it wide
open, as having the prosecution accuse you of child porn because you used a
hard-but-crackable WPA2 ("it's one in a billion to crack it! beyond a
reasonable doubt! we dont have anyone anywhere in our IT who could possibly
crack it!") instead of WEP or wide open seems like a greater pitfall.

What about projects like http://NoCat.net - will they be made illegal? That's going
to be an awesome can of worms.

/kc
--