Downstream Usage-BGP Communites

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue May 10 22:27:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011, Nick Olsen wrote:

> Was hoping to gain some insight into common practice with using BGP
> Communities downstream.

Generally, the transitive BGP attribute you have the most direct control
over is AS_PATH, though it's not impossible for a provider to munge the
AS_PATH on routes they receive from their transits and peers, beyond your
control.

Some providers might have communities that let you pass things along to
their transit providers and peers, or influence traffic patterns / route
propagation.

For example, if I buy transit from ISP X, and they get transit from
Level3 and Sprint, they might offer a community that lets me selectively
prepend to Sprint (or Level3), I can affect how traffic flows to my
network.  In your example, AS100 might have a community that you can
set on your announcements that will cause them to set 4323:666 on that
prefix when it's passed to TWTC.  If they don't offer a community, then
doing what you're looking for would require one of their network people to
put something manual in place.  Many large networks don't like to (or
won't) do that because one-off requests don't scale very well, and it can
add complexity when troubleshooting a connectivity problem, or when
someone fat-fingers an access-list/distribute-list/prefix-list.

This varies greatly, based on the level of control your direct BGP
neighbors are willing or able to offer to you.  Also, in general, the
farther away a network is from you (in terms of AS hops), the less likely
you are to have control over how they propagate and act upon your
announcements.

jms