Yahoo and IPv6

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue May 10 20:58:51 UTC 2011

On 10 mei 2011, at 22:31, Warren Kumari wrote:

>> :: I applaud the first step, but I'm bothered by the fact that no second step is planned.

> Igor is right on both counts here -- 0.05% is definitely noticeable at these sorts of scale,

Ok, removed my infamatory reply. But tell me how 0.05% is visible in the up/down motions of traffic as it starts raining, there is something especially good/bad on TV, people have to reboot because of a Windows update or whatever.

Earlier today I tracerouted the top 1000 websites as per Alexa. I couldn't resolve the DNS for 6 of them. The internet is never 100% up.

> I'm also a little surprised that you figured that there were no plans past the event -- much of the point of this is for data gathering -- did you figure folk were just going to gather the data and then ignore it?

I asked the ISOC press people about this after they sent me their press release but they never replied (they may have replied to my message but not with an answer to the question). There is nothing on the ISOC site that mentions anything happening after june 8.

Of course I'm assuming individual participants will do stuff, but that doesn't change that this IPv6 day as it stands now is a one-off event, not the first step towards the Ultimate Goal.