23,000 IP addresses

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue May 10 20:01:01 UTC 2011

> Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 15:51:32 -0400
> From: Michael Holstein <michael.holstein at csuohio.edu>
>

> > In the US, I believe that CALEA requires you to have those records for 7 years.
> >

> No, it doesn't (records *of the requests* are required, but no
> obligation to create subscriber records exists).
>
> Even if it did .. academic institutions are exempt (to CALEA) as private
> networks.*
>
> There are various legislative attempts afoot to create one here in the
> US .. but none have passed.

There is a great deal of uncertainty about the issue of academic
institutions being exempt. I know tha that the opinion of the
University of California's Counsel was that the wording in the last
CALEA update a few years ago removed that exemption and a representative
of the FBI, speaking on CALEA requirements, was explicit in saying that
they were not exempt. (Of course, that would be the FBI's position.)

In any case, get your own legal opinion about this. Don't rely on NANOG
for legal advice.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)