23,000 IP addresses

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:22:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Scott Brim <scott.brim at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 09:42, Leigh Porter
> <leigh.porter at ukbroadband.com> wrote:
>> So are they basing this on you downloading it or on making it available for others?
>
> Without knowing the details, I wouldn't assume any such level of
> competence or integrity.  It could just be a broad witch hunt.

I know of a decent sized global ISP that ran (runs?) a large darknet
that was the equivalent of a few /16's routed to a fbsd host running
'tcpdump' (a tad more complex, but essentially this). BayTSP (one of
the 'make legal threats for the mpaa/riaa' firms) sent ~2k notes to
the ISP about downloaders on these ips.

Looking at netflow data (sample 1:1 on that interface) they had
portscanned (from ip space registered in their name) each address in
the range and sent subpoena-material to all ips that they thought they
got a response from.

At least baytsp got theirs? (money I mean)