Yahoo and IPv6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue May 10 07:46:34 UTC 2011

> :: > I do agree with you that pointing fingers at this stage is really not helpful. I continue to maintain that being supportive of those content networks that are willing to wade in is the right answer.
> :: >
> :: Agreed, but, it's also important to point out when they're starting to swim in directions
> :: that are counterproductive, such as having help sites that advise users to turn off
> :: IPv6 with fixing their IPv6 capabilities as a secondary option.
>
> "We recommend disabling IPv6 or seeking assistance in order to fix your
> system's IPv6 configuration through your ISP or computer manufacturer"
>
> So, your problem is that a help page gives the user 2 options,
> the first one of them being a quick and easy fix that a user can do
> himself in less then a minute, and suggesting contacting the ISP or
> manufacturer *second* (and possibly spending quite a bit of time on
> hold/troubleshooting, and then saying "screw it")?!?

Vs. other more useful options which I have spelled out elsewhere in this
thread, yes.

> Honestly, I think the people who want ipv6 to work, and are willing and
> capable to troubleshoot it, will; and those who don't will just
> turn it off... Seems like the right outcome to me..

We can agree to disagree. Turning it off really isn't a good outcome because
it just postpones the inevitable. Encouraging people to call their ISPs to
troubleshoot their IPv6 problems accomplishes two things:

	1.	It raises visibility of the need for IPv6 at the eyeball ISPs. It shows
		that there are users encountering things that cause them to care
		about IPv6 working.

	2.	It helps users resolve their IPv6 problems and get working
		IPv6.

I applaud your employer's efforts to get IPv6 deployed and their leadership
in working towards IPv6 day. Hopefully they can eventually take a more
positive leadership position towards successful eyeball transitions as
well.

Owen