Finger pointing [was: Yahoo and IPv6]

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon May 9 20:40:03 UTC 2011

On May 9, 2011, at 4:26 PM, Jeff Wheeler wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:
>> I do agree with you that pointing fingers at this stage is really not
>> helpful. I continue to maintain that being supportive of those content
>> networks that are willing to wade in is the right answer.

[...]

> This problem is, and always has been, on the access side.  Point your
> fingers that way.

While I agree with Jeff, I agree with Doug more.  Unfortunately, finger-pointing will not fix the problem.  We have identified many of the problems, and hopefully June 8 will shine a very bright light on any that are left.  Let's work on fixing the problems, and let the historians figure out whose "fault" it was.

--
TTFN,
patrick

P.S. As an aside, and since the finger was pointed in my general direction, I'd just like to say chicken and egg problems always suck.  However, when the largest sites on the 'Net have enabled v6, yet are forced to whitelist or lose millions of dollars because the other end is broken, I don't see how any rational person can seriously call this the "content mafia's" fault.