Yahoo and IPv6

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Mon May 9 20:26:47 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:
> I do agree with you that pointing fingers at this stage is really not
> helpful. I continue to maintain that being supportive of those content
> networks that are willing to wade in is the right answer.

Frankly, I think the finger is simply pointing in the wrong direction.
 I have zero choices for native IPv6 at home, and I'm sure that is
true for the majority of us.  SOHO CPE support barely exists because
access networks haven't been asking for it.  Call centers are
certainly not equipped to evaluate "traceroute tickets" or assist
users in any practical way, which is why we see "disable IPv6 and try
again" as the cookie-cutter answer to any problem when the end-user
has IPv6.

The expectation that content providers should rush to publish AAAA
records by default (instead of white-listing, etc.) at a time when
even motivated end-users can't get IPv6 without resorting to tunnels
is ridiculous.  Let's be glad that these content providers have done
all the necessary prep work, such as deploying appropriate network
infrastructure and updating their software, so that they can choose to
send AAAA responses when they want to.

This problem is, and always has been, on the access side.  Point your
fingers that way.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts