How do you put a TV station on the Mbone?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu May 5 19:47:12 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jeff Wheeler" <jsw at inconcepts.biz>

> There are certainly things that need work before I can start up Jeff's
> Internet Movie Channel and go into competition with HBO, but for the
> most part, these are solvable if networks decided to do it. The big
> limitation is there can't be infinite groups -- FIB is only so big and
> there is no agreeable mechanism for sharing the number that can be
> made to exist, given current (and foreseeable) routers. Since so many
> "eyeballs" are sitting on ISPs that also own television networks and
> other media properties, though, I don't think we will get multicast
> anytime soon.

Unless (what I assert is) Google's plan to engender muni fiber last-mile
really catches fire -- at which point it will become logistically practical
for people like Chris Adams to compete with people like Road Runner... and
you'll have your end-user transport.

Bet me cash Google City will be multicast capable.

Cheers
-- jra