OT: Server Cabinet

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed May 4 14:44:35 UTC 2011

> Once upon a time, Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> said:
> > Now of course we have no idea what's going to be mounted in this, but
> > it's an HP rack so I assume maybe HP servers, which tend towards the
> > heavy.
>
> One thing about using a 2-post rack for servers that can be a problem is
> that most 2-post racks I've seen have tapped holes, ready for screws,
> and some server rails (such as Dell) pretty much require square hole or
> round hole racks instead.  You can get third-party server rails that
> will work with a tapped hole rack, but that's an extra expense (and
> irritation).

That's a good point.  Without knowing the intended equipment load, it
is difficult to give good advice on this part.

However, since it's an HP rack, an obvious guess might be HP servers,
and I will note that the HP rails I've seen, while designed for square
or round hole racks, do allow the little peglets to be removed, and
are then compatible with most racks I've seen.  Unfortunately they
have a thread-lock compound on them, so be prepared to sit down with
a flat blade power screwdriver and some pliers; removal is about 2
minutes per set of rails that way.

I've come to like the HP server gear a whole lot more than Dell over
the years.  Little things like that are one of the reasons.

... JG