OT: Server Cabinet

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed May 4 12:58:51 UTC 2011

> > Can you see where this is leading yet? Three obvious questions:
> >
> > 1) Have you ever had to fit a cabinet through a doorway that's too small?
> > 2) How did you do it? Cut cabinet, demolish wall ...?
> > 3) If you cut the cabinet, any tips?
>
> Comment:  you need to recognize that you are 'making trouble'.  At _some_
> point in the future, there will be a need to remove said cabinet from that
> location, and the issue will rear it's ugly head *again*.
>
> Suggestion: If there is no alternative to that narrow doorway, consider:
>    a) getting a *different* cabinet -- one that _will_ dis-assemble.
>    b) if 'all else fails', _widen_ the doorway.  Thus permanently resolving
>       the issue.
>
> Option (a) _is_ going to be less time/effort/money than any other alternative.

Good comments so far.  I didn't see this one though:

It's admittedly far from ideal in some ways, but a great way to deal
with this sort of situation can be to get a pair of two-post open
frame relay racks; most of them bolt together and can be put just
about anywhere.  Many times we forget that these can be used as the
front and back of a single rack.  Remember to tie them together if
you go that route, attachment to a wall or up top highly recommended
as well.

Of course, this only works if you didn't really need doors on your
rack, etc.

... JG