OT: Server Cabinet

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Wed May 4 12:27:27 UTC 2011

> Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 09:43:53 +0100
> Subject: OT: Server Cabinet
> From: Robert Lusby <nanogwp at gmail.com>
>
> Sorry to start the day OT, but I'm sure you lovely lot will have some
> tips/experience! ;)
>
> We have a HP Server Cabinet (42U 10842 G2), that we've stripped down to the
> bare-bones chassis. It now measures 750mm wide.
>
> We have a door-way that said server cabinet must fit through, measuring up
> at 620mm.
>
> The cabinet chassis is welded at all four corners, so can't be taken apart
> any more without being cut.
>
> Can you see where this is leading yet? Three obvious questions:
>
> 1) Have you ever had to fit a cabinet through a doorway that's too small?
> 2) How did you do it? Cut cabinet, demolish wall ...?
> 3) If you cut the cabinet, any tips?

Comment:  you need to recognize that you are 'making trouble'.  At _some_
point in the future, there will be a need to remove said cabinet from that
location, and the issue will rear it's ugly head *again*.

Suggestion: If there is no alternative to that narrow doorway, consider:
   a) getting a *different* cabinet -- one that _will_ dis-assemble.
   b) if 'all else fails', _widen_ the doorway.  Thus permanently resolving
      the issue.

Option (a) _is_ going to be less time/effort/money than any other alternative.